Introduction to Alternative Tools: Where to find them!
Most of these are freely available and ok to use in final projects except where noted. "Retro" tools may require adjusting your computer's compatibility settings.
- Narrative Games
- Exploring Games
- Bitsy - 2D places with characters, text and items
- Katelabs - Make fun 3D places
- Puzzles & Other Types
- Characters & Sprites
- Public Domain Images (Free to re-use and edit!)
- Fun drawing tools
- Strike - play with monochrome and dithering
- Kid Pix (Retro) - Fun doodling software
- Flying Colors (Retro) - Lots of patterns, clip art, and effects
Presenting Your Work
Finding More tools
If you have any more questions or want to show me what you make, contact me through itch.io, twitter, or my website!