Home > Writing Portfolio
||I post a lot of writing on my site for free, but my goal is to do writing, curation and research full time! If you find my writing useful, or use it in a class or syllabus, please consider a paid subscription to my newsletter or a donation so I can spend more time on it.|
Articles Published Elsewhere (2014-2022)
- In The Arcade Review: "Into the Dive" on RPGMaker and Indie Horror
- In The Arcade Review: "Gingiva" game review
- In The Arcade Review: "Eidolon" game review
- In The Arcade Review: "A Personal Archaeology of 'Girls' Games': On Rhizome's Theresa Duncan Conservation Efforts"
- In The Arcade Review: "Homesickened" game review
- For Storycade: "Hatoful Boyfriend" game review
- In Critical Hits: An Indie Anthology: "Mouse Power!"
- In The Blank Arcade 2016 catalog: "The Sensuous Possibilities of Play" [PDF]
- For Critical Distance: "Visual Essay Jam Roundup 2017"
- For In Media Res: "Transgressive Games: SimCopter"
- For Rock, Paper, Shotgun: "90s CD-ROM Games Still Have a Lot to Teach Us"
- In ToDIGRA: "Exhibition Strategies for Videogames in Art Institutions: Blank Arcade 2016"
- In Now Play This! 2018 catalog: "Looms Will Be Around Long After We Are Dead: On Pattern in Videogames"
- For The British Council: Games Storytelling Project
- For Rock, Paper, Shotgun: "Occupy White Walls Removes the Dark Cloud Hanging Over All Art Exhibitions"
- For EGM: "Animal Crossing, SimCity, and the Long History of City Planning in Games"
- In Indie Games in the Digital Age (Ed. Clarke and Wang, Bloomsbury 2020): "From tool to community to style: The influence of software tools on game development communities and aesthetics"
- In The Journal of Games Criticism, Book Review: Handmade Pixels: Independent Video Games and the Quest for Authenticity
- For Critical Distance: "The List Jam Roundup"
- For Rock, Paper, Shotgun: "Returning to The Catacombs Of Solaris, perspective maze and nascent 'artsport'"
- For REAL LIFE: Play to Lose
- In Science Fiction Film and Television: "‘I find this disgusting but I can’t help myself’: Videogame panics and sinister origins in 1990s sf media"
- In The Serving Library Annual 2022/23: "Snake Head, Snake Tail"
- In Replay. The Polish Journal of Game Studies: "The aesthetics of speedrunning: Performances in neo-baroque space"
- In Murdered Futures: A Cronenberg Fanzine: Flesh Only Transforms
- FEB-20-2022: The Handheld is Dead! - For UNDO! Jam, about the potential and loss of handheld computing.
- JAN-05-2022: The Museum of Unspeakable Games - In response to the Game Jolt controversy and Oma Keeling's Who Plays Unspeakable Games?
- SEP-29-2021: Shell Game - On fictions of automation in theory and automation as theme in my own work.
- JUL-23-2021: Hidden in the Walls of this House: Perspective, Absorption and Direct Address in The House in Fata Morgana - Don't be afraid darling, it's only another visual novel review!
- MAR-27-2021: Statements Towards the Establishment of a Proof-of-Rest Protocol - for the Alternative Ecologies Jam at Now Play This
- MAR-02-2021: A Dark Matter Reading List - on free culture and mainstream culture, organizing together and dreaming bigger dreams
- FEB-21-2021: LIST JAM entry - two lists
- FEB-15-2021: Provenance is a Technology! - On technologies we already have and the conscripted horizon of the new.
- NOV-11-2020: What Have We Gotten From Four Years of Politically Engaged Games Commentary?
- OCT-31-2020: Car Fantasia - About videogame cars, cars that can jump, real life cars, and The Last Car
- OCT-07-2020: Loving in a World Already Written: moon: Remix RPG Adventure - Review of the cult classic PSX RPG
- SEP-05-2020: Videogame Engines as Tools for Mass Art - Transcript of a talk I tried to give at the Game Engines Beyond Games symposium (VOD here!)
- AUG-06-2020: Videogames and Arts Funding - about videogames entering the public arts funding arena, ways this can be good, and ways this can be bad
- JUL-10-2020: Considering Your Non-Options: Lee Lozano - about refusal, withdrawal, doing things "because you're mentally ill"
- APR-10-2020: VN Review: Hashihime of the Old Book Town - about formal concerns when evaluating VNs as videogames
- APR-04-2020: New Futures: Speculation Jam 2020 - yet another annual writing jam roundup!
- MAR-19-2020: Citygames: New Horizons, Sim City, and The Silver Case - essay about infrastructure and PPP hell
- FEB-22-2020: POST-OWNERSHIP: Videogame History from 2024 - Essay for #SpeculationJam
- DEC-21-2019: 2019 in Games Writing - Annual writing wrap-up
- DEC-20-2019: Games to Remember (20 to take into the 2020s) - Decade list
- NOV-12-2019: It's Disgusting But I Can’t Help Myself: eXistenZ’s Unhappy Consciousness for Videogames - I wrote a 3.5k word review of a movie from 1999 because I'm insane.
- OCT-28-2019: The One Where I Try to be Funny - violence, ethics, goose game
- SEP-16-2019: On Kissing the Cop in Chulip - what it says on the tin
- AUG-15-2019: Bridget Riley - review of her retrospective at the National Galleries of Scotland
- AUG-04-2019: Be Realistic! - about discussions around indie and small games' viability
- JUN-24-2019: Statement for "Interdisciplinary Approaches to Digital Play" at King's College London - "Provocation" for an experimental conference format
- JUN-11-2019: Love Letters From Eye to Screen - Review/process post for 10 Beautiful Postcards
- MAY-29-2019: Feral Vector: Zine Library Talk - A written version of a talk on zine libraries I gave at Feral Vector 2019
- MAY-09-2019: Thinking/Game-Gardening Ruderally - Pondering Hito Steyerl's ruderal plants and sustainable game making
- APR-20-2019: Do Your Dailies - Time, chance, outcome! Also Kara Stone's Ritual of the Moon
- APR-16-2019: Dispatch from the Speculation Zone - London trip recap, review of Hito Steyerl at the Serpentine Sackler Gallery.
- MAR-08-2019: Flappy Bird Will Have Its Revenge On Indie Games - More on IP, ownership, and who can make "creative" videogames.
- FEB-28-2019: The Writing Jam Rolls On! What we found in the Lost Histories jam - another writing jam roundup!
- FEB-17-2019: Anything a Maze - Essay for #LostHistoriesJam
- JAN-15-2019: 2018 in Videogame Blogging - A roundup of my favorite posts from 2018, in defense of blogging.
- JAN-02-2019: Three Modernisms! - A Three-Part Essay on the phrase "Modern Videogames"
- DEC-29-2018: Review: Videogames: Design, Play, Disrupt (V&A, 2018)
- OCT-26-2018: 9/10 Best New Latest Example - On RDR2 controversies, videogame industry labor issues, and how writers approach these topics.
Blog Re-posts (UNDER CONSTRUCTION)
These are all pieces migrated from my old medium and wordpress blogs. Blogs will be added in reverse order as I take them down.