Home > Writing Portfolio
I post a lot of writing on my site for free, but my goal is to do writing, curation and research full time! If you find my writing useful, or use it in a class or syllabus, please consider DONATING so I can spend more time on it.
- OCT-07-2020: Loving in a World Already Written: moon: Remix RPG Adventure - Review of the cult classic PSX RPG
- SEP-05-2020: Videogame Engines as Tools for Mass Art - Transcript of a talk I tried to give at the Game Engines Beyond Games symposium (VOD coming soon!)
- AUG-06-2020: Videogames and Arts Funding - about videogames entering the public arts funding arena, ways this can be good, and ways this can be bad
- JUL-10-2020: Considering Your Non-Options: Lee Lozano - about refusal, withdrawal, doing things "because you're mentally ill"
- APR-10-2020: VN Review: Hashihime of the Old Book Town - about formal concerns when evaluating VNs as videogames
- APR-04-2020: New Futures: Speculation Jam 2020 - yet another annual writing jam roundup!
- MAR-19-2020: Citygames: New Horizons, Sim City, and The Silver Case - essay about infrastructure and PPP hell
- FEB-22-2020: POST-OWNERSHIP: Videogame History from 2024 - Essay for #SpeculationJam
- DEC-21-2019: 2019 in Games Writing - Annual writing wrap-up
- DEC-20-2019: Games to Remember (20 to take into the 2020s) - Decade list
- NOV-12-2019: It's Disgusting But I Can’t Help Myself: eXistenZ’s Unhappy Consciousness for Videogames - I wrote a 3.5k word review of a movie from 1999 because I'm insane.
- OCT-28-2019: The One Where I Try to be Funny - violence, ethics, goose game
- SEP-16-2019: On Kissing the Cop in Chulip - what it says on the tin
- AUG-15-2019: Bridget Riley - review of her retrospective at the National Galleries of Scotland
- AUG-04-2019: Be Realistic! - about discussions around indie and small games' viability
- JUN-24-2019: Statement for "Interdisciplinary Approaches to Digital Play" at King's College London - "Provocation" for an experimental conference format
- JUN-11-2019: Love Letters From Eye to Screen - Review/process post for 10 Beautiful Postcards
- MAY-29-2019: Feral Vector: Zine Library Talk - A written version of a talk on zine libraries I gave at Feral Vector 2019
- MAY-09-2019: Thinking/Game-Gardening Ruderally - Pondering Hito Steyerl's ruderal plants and sustainable game making
- APR-20-2019: Do Your Dailies - Time, chance, outcome! Also Kara Stone's Ritual of the Moon
- APR-16-2019: Dispatch from the Speculation Zone - London trip recap, review of Hito Steyerl at the Serpentine Sackler Gallery.
- MAR-08-2019: Flappy Bird Will Have Its Revenge On Indie Games - More on IP, ownership, and who can make "creative" videogames.
- FEB-28-2019: The Writing Jam Rolls On! What we found in the Lost Histories jam - another writing jam roundup!
- FEB-17-2019: Anything a Maze - Essay for #LostHistoriesJam
- JAN-15-2019: 2018 in Videogame Blogging - A roundup of my favorite posts from 2018, in defense of blogging.
- JAN-02-2019: Three Modernisms! - A Three-Part Essay on the phrase "Modern Videogames"
- DEC-29-2018: Review: Videogames: Design, Play, Disrupt (V&A, 2018)
- OCT-26-2018: 9/10 Best New Latest Example - On RDR2 controversies, videogame industry labor issues, and how writers approach these topics.
Published Elsewhere (2014-2020)
Blog Re-posts (UNDER CONSTRUCTION)
These are all pieces migrated from my old medium and wordpress blogs. Blogs will be added in reverse order as I take them down.